INTO AND ABOVE THE GLACIER
Ride a snowmobile to the Ice cave
We set off from Reykjavík towards Icelandic highlands above Húsafell in West Iceland in the early morning for a glacier experience like no other. This tour includes a snowmobile ride up the vast snowy terrain of the second largest glacier in Iceland followed by a walk through the magnificent man-made ice cave.
From the glacier base camp at Jaki we start our tour of the Langjökull Glacier Ice Cap. We begin with putting on the necessary clothing and getting our helmets fitted, we then listen to the safety briefing from our guide before we head out on our snowmobile tour. Then we´re ready to drive off across the glacier´s vast snowy wonderland and marvel at the incredible surroundings. We will actually drive our snowmobiles to the famous ice cave!
After riding the snowmobiles up the glacier we walk down into the glacier, Your expert guide will take you on this fantastic journey to the icy netherworld deep within the glacier.
Until very recently what lies beneath the surface of Langjökull was a mystery. But sometimes bold ideas become a reality and this seemingly impossible feat of creating a 500 meter long ice cave was made possible through the combined efforts of the country´s top engineers and geo-physicists. Inside the glacier the temperature is usually around zero degrees Celsius or 32 Fahrenheit.
After snowmobiling and exploring the Ice Cave we make our way back down to civilization, or to the small village of Húsafell.
|Best price guarantee|
|No hidden costs|
|Minimum age: 8 years|
What is included
- In bus audio guide with a choice of 10 languages (English, French, German, Dutch, Italian, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Finnish)
- Knowledgeable local guide
- Exhilarating snowmobile ride and crampons for walking into the ice cave
- All necessary equipment for snowmobiling (helmet, gloves, snow-suit)
- Approximately 1 hour guided tour in the Ice Cave
- Admission to the Ice Cave
For the In-Bus-Audio-Guide: Bring your own headphones. Otherwise headphones are available for purchase in every bus from our hosts.
For your comfort: Since you will be entering an ice cave which is at 0° Celsius or 32° Fahrenheit we recommend not only warm clothing, but also waterproof clothing as well. Waterproof jacket and pants, headwear and gloves, and warm socks/waterproof shoes are essential for staying warm and dry during the visit into the ice cave.
- If you have any difficulty walking consider that you will be walking within a ice cave and it will be important to have the right equipment with you that allows you to move comfortable and safely along the uneven and slippery ground.
- You need a valid driver's license to drive a snowmobile
- You will be sharing a snowmobile with someone, however, there is an extra cost if you would like to be a single rider.